Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What to Feed My Kids?

I'm fresh out of ideas in the whole "feeding my children" department, and so I've come to you for some help. There's no better place to ask for help than the blogging world, right? I am having a hard time coming up with things to feed my boys for lunch that are healthy and allow them to get a lot of their nutritional value for the day. I am trying to find things that I can feed them that fill their tummies, keep them happy, give them the nutrients they need, and VARIETY. I guess one of my main areas of distress is coming up with ideas for "sides." We do the standard sandwich, meat, main portion bit, but I don't know what else to give them. I do give them fruit, veggies, cheese, sometimes pretzels or crackers with it, but I need something fresh. I also could use some ideas on healthy snacks. For snacks we'll do pretzels, granola bars, fruit, trail mix, cheese, crackers, dried fruit, etc.; but I could use some more ideas if you have any. I have found some on-line but they are time consuming and I don't want to feel like I'm making 4-5 meals a day! Also, if any of you have any really yummy and easy breakfast ideas and recipes, would you please let me know. We do a lot of pancakes, oatmeal, and french toast, and yogurt; but my kids like to eat FIRST thing in the morning so something quick and yummy would be great. If you have any ideas, websites, blogs, you could direct me to, it would be much appreciated. And just think - this just might very well help you with feeding your family! Even if you're a perfect stranger and happen along this post, I would love the help!! Thanks to all in advance.

5 comments:

The Birds said...

check the http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/
They have some ideas. Not all are for kids but they have a recipe for peanut butter pancakes.

Anonymous said...

I can't help too much and I will definitly be checking back on your blog to read everyone else's ideas. The only suggestion I have is that when you make pancakes or waffles, make a big batch and individually freeze what you don't eat. Then on mornings when you need a quick breakfast you can just throw a pancake or waffle in the toaster! My kids also like yogurt smoothies for breakfast or a healthy snack, I just have to make sure to keep plenty of frozen fruit on hand.

The Howards said...

I can't take credit for this one...on my friend's blog (Ashley Booth) she has a bunch of links on her sidebar of healthy kid's food websites. One that I read is superhealthykids.com which seemed like it might have some stuff you were looking for. Best of luck!

Hafen Crew said...

Ashlee you grew up in a daycare I know you can remember stuff that mom made for the kids. :) What about Ants on a log, Apple smiles, Pigs in a blanket, individual pizzas using biscuit dough. Ummmm let's see...make toddler pudding, ya know shake up the sugar free pudding in a baby food jar....that's all I can think of right off the bat, but ask mom...she had TONS of snacks to make over the years and for some pretty picky kids ;)

Ty and Masha said...

I found this website http://kidshealth.org/kid/ it has some good quick easy stuff for kids. I haven't tried any of them, but your post made me think that I should get ready for something like that and serched the web. See if that helps.