Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Flag Ceremony - A Turner Legacy

The 4th of July started out awesome as always! We joined Grandma and Grandpa Turner at their condo for the annual 4th of July Flag Ceremony! (To all of you other family members - you missed out!) We have had this tradition for as long as I can remember. It has always been just my family and Grandma, Grandpa, Jill, Jean and any other family members who just might be in town for the holiday. Well, since Grandma and Grandpa have moved to their condo, Grandpa has invited all of his neighbors and it has been quite the celebration. This year we had quite the crowd - about 20 people!

This year it started out with Randall posting the colors. For years it's always been Dallin posting the colors, but somehow this year he missed out. We were then honored to hear a beautiful rendition of "America the Beautiful" by the family choir: Grandma, Grandpa, Jill, Jean, and Randy. (Ya still got it guys!) Then, my amazing husband gave a FANTASTIC speech on patriotism. What a sport, he has now given the speech twice since he's been in the family. (I have never had to, hehe) I was so proud of him - he didn't even complain about it when Grandpa called to ask him. He did such a good job that all of the old folks in attendance asked him for a copy of the story he shared. He's such a great guy - I love you Bry!

After that, we had breakfast and just hung out with the fam chatting and visiting. It was fun to be with everyone and it was a great way to start the 4th. It gets you thinking of why we celebrate this holiday and how blessed we are to live in America. Here are some pictures of the wonderful event.

"Ladies and Gentlemen...."

The inspiring musical number

The Keynote Speaker

My Patriotic Boys

5 comments:

TURNER TALES said...

You're so right Ash-a-lee!! It was a great way to start the 4th. I think next year I'll suggest that we expand that "choir"!! Bryan did a great job too!! Your 2boys are way cute!! And I love the picture Rissa posted of Jace and Grandma all tied up!! What a monkey!! xoxo

Kristin said...

I love those flag ceremonies. Luke always says 'thanks Elmo' as I climb the ladder myself to hang our flag.

The Incredible Bulks said...

Your cute Grandpa and his patriotic shirt! So tender how much he loves this time of year.

The Howards said...

Bryan is such a trooper! I think Scott would have been mortified! He should take it as a compliment! I do miss those fun gatherings!

The Runyons said...

Ashlee - what a sweet commentary! You better pray Grandpa Turner doesn't read this, you may be on the hook next year. Those are secrets you never tell!
It was nice thinking for a while that Cole looked like a Runyon, but when you put him next to his daddy and his Grandpa E. there's no question he's an Erickson.
What an adorable bunch.