Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Mother's Love

I was discussing with my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law about how as a mother, I have no privacy. None. Whatsoever.

As much as I try, I just can't seem to get dressed, use the bathroom, or shower without having a little one intrude on me. I don't dare lock the bathroom door when I shower for fear of something terrible happening and one of the boys can't come in and let me know. Like the time when Jace came running into the bathroom as I was showering to let me know that Cole was spraying potent cleaning chemicals all over the kitchen floor.

I was using the bathroom the other day with Cole perched on my lap because he absolutely refused to be put down. As Cole and I were sitting on the throne, I thought, "This is a mother's love. Allowing your child to sit on your lap while you use the bathroom."

It was an 'Ah-ha' moment.

Sometimes I just wish I could have a moment of peace to take care of my needs without worrying who's trying to barge in on me, yelling for me, or needing something. Somedays I just wish I could have a shower all to myself.

But then again, who cares about privacy when you have a cute little face like this smooshed up against the glass just trying his hardest to give you a kiss. Of course all of my cares wash down the drain as I bend down to kiss those flattened lips back.


11 comments:

Luke and Kellie said...

I totally understand and agree, it's worth it!

The Ceder House's said...

My FAVORITE all time picture of Cole! Um, just had my first sharing of the throne moment the other day... you mean it doesn't get easier? Crap. Too late :)

Ty and Masha said...

I about died laughing....I don't understand how those kids don't mind the smell!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I can totally relate, so true! Of course, now that my kids are older I do lock the bathroom door (they can scream and knock on the door pretty loud if they really need to). I agree, every "sacrifice" we make as a mother is totally worth it!

Karlee Turner said...

So cute...that picture of smooshed face Cole is priceless!

Wilson said...

That picture of Cole is so cute. I feel the same way sometimes and I only have one following me around.

Amanda said...

That is so funny! I was just telling Trav the other day that it was a good thing our downstairs bathroom had a pedistal sink so that more kids could fit in there with me!

Megan said...

Thanks for stopping by Remarks from Sparks. I'm happy to have you any time!

I see your point. If we're not ready for the nudity of honesty, we should ask ourselves why.

Best of luck in your quest for privacy. I'd be positively loony(er) without mine!

Rob and Vienna said...

Oh my gosh. Cole is so ridiculously cute. That post was so enlightening; now I know what I have to look forward to in a couple years :) Hopefully I can handle it when the day comes. Love you guys!

Margetts Fam said...

I love this post, it is so true! Many time I have to go to the bathroom with Preston on my lap and Evan asking me questions, or I love when I am relaxing in the bathtub and Evan poops and I have to get out to wipe his bum, love it! That Cole is too cute though! I am excited to have Jace over and so is Evan!

Shannon said...

This post made me laugh. I think every mom can relate to that. That picture of Cole is so stinking cute! Seriously, he makes me want a little boy!