Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Chose to Neglect


I had a day last week where I felt the horrible feeling of "motherly neglect." If you're a mother or caretaker I'm sure you can relate. It's a time where you do what you want to do and you somewhat shirk on your mother/wife responsibilities. I contemplated this feeling and almost posted about it last Wednesday, (I even took a picture to go along with the post!) but I didn't. I mean, how could I post about mother's neglect just after I posted about a mother's love?

It was noon-thirty that day and I was still in my pajamas, the beds were unmade, the breakfast dishes were still in the sink (or on the table), the waffle ingredients and iron were still on the counter, the kitchen table still had breakfast goop on it, and now it was time to make lunch. So what was I doing? Blogging, blog surfing (or blog stalking - however you prefer), emailing, and chatting with my hubby online. It was ME time. Pure, unadulterated me time.

As I sat there and saw the mess around me, I had a twinge of guilt. "I should be doing other things," I told myself. And then I found myself asking why I should feel this way. Why indeed should I feel guilty or even feel that I was neglecting my children or my "duties"? In fact, the boys had been fed a warm, healthy, whole wheat breakfast, they were dressed, and they were laughing and having a great time together. Why did I have this guilty cloud of neglect hanging over my head?

And then just a couple of days ago I was reading a blog I follow and found that this lady was having the exact same feelings. She was expressing her concerns to her sister when she said, "...I could do these things but I would have to neglect more than I am willing to bargain."

Her sister then gave this great advice, "But you can do anything you want to do. You can choose to neglect. Don't get stuck in that rut."

You can choose to neglect. Basically... it's okay to pick and choose the things that we are going to neglect in order to keep our sanity. We can't do EVERYTHING, therefore we have to neglect SOMETHING. Don't get stuck in that rut of thinking that it's not okay.

...And that morning last Thursday, I chose to neglect a clean house and me being dressed in order to have some ME time. And lo and behold, the house didn't come crumbling down just because I chose a little neglect.

I believe this guilty feeling of neglect is just a motherly instinct - also commonly known as mother's guilt. We usually all feel some form of it every day. That's just how God created us, and that's okay. I think mother's guilt helps us to become better mothers. It's a nasty, nagging feeling, but it can be there to help us. We can remember that feeling yesterday, and be a better mother and person today. We just can't let it overpower us.

We just can't let it get us stuck in that rut.

13 comments:

Kristin said...

I love this post! At least now I know I'm a normal mother...I do have the neglect/guilty feelings that I'm not doing everything I should be as a wife/mother. And sometimes it's overpowering, and other times I sit in my pajamas as well. Thanks for sharing!

Rob and Vienna said...

You are a fantastic mother, so I'm glad you took some "Me" time, because you definitely deserve it. Also, the boys look so freaking cute in your new picture; those sweater vests are adorable.

Jodie said...

You are an incredible mom! And I think you totally deserve some ME time. We all do. The key is finding the balance and not letting it overpower us. Thanks for the reminder, Ash. I really miss you!

Karlee Turner said...

Look at you..you're just full of inspirational posts lately! You're such a good writer Ash. I already experience these feelings from time to time and I'm not even a mother yet! Its a good principle to understand though...its all about the balance!

Heath and Brandie said...

You are amazing! I love the way you write. Do you charge for church talks?

Karlee Turner said...

Oh yea, and I love the new family picture! You guys look great!

Kristin said...

I love that these two posts were by each other. Guess what my kids are doing right now...watching tv. I used to feel horribly guilty and then the 3rd child came along and it is humanly possible (without drugs of somesort) to get everything picked up, cleaned, organized. It was a hard adjustment for me. Also, are you activities chair in your ward. I just got called to that and need ideas.

The Ceder House's said...

You call yourself a Mother!?? All you made them for breakfast were whole-wheat homemade waffles??? Terrible........... You know there are these awesome boxes of food at the grocery store- Toaster Strudels. Don't even need a waffle iron;)

The Birds said...

Maybe it was the inversion or something else in the air but I had the same thing happen to me last week.

Ty and Masha said...

I chose neglect too. Sometimes it feels great just browsing through blogs while your child is still wearing PJs and it's 3 p.m. The best things is that when your husband comes home you can say that you had a very busy day and the dinner is on him. Yes, to all the neglectors!

Gingerlylizzy said...

Ashlee! I loved our visit today! I am going to link your blog right now and I plan on reading away!

Gingerlylizzy said...

Wow! I loved this post... seriously. I can relate. But when I think about it, I am so busy all the time that I usually DON'T have much of a moment for myself - why shouldn't I once and awhile. Thanks for this!

The Runyons said...

Great wisdom Ashlee! Why is it that we are always so willing to go, do, give and run on exhaust fumes for our families and others around us, but feel guilty about refilling our personal 'gas tanks' occasionally. You must make time to make 'me' deposits or eventually you will become bankrupt and won't have anything left to withdraw from for anyone. I'm glad your discovering this at an early age. I'm still learning about this one!
I love your writing! It is a gift! Keep it up!
Love you!!