Friday, June 11, 2010

A Reprieve

Ah, Fathers and Sons.

The one night and morning that you look forward to for several weeks, maybe even a whole year, that guarantees you some "alone" time. Some time to do all (okay, some) of those things when you always think, "If I didn't have to take the kids, I would do that." So you can imagine how excited I was to enjoy this alone time.

Well, as the day was going on and I was trying to plan out my evening of excitement, a couple of things hit me. The first was trying to decide what I actually wanted to do with all of my time. I even made a list. Should I go shopping, clean the house, work on a craft, call up a friend and go out, plan for trek, of just plain veg. So many good options because all of these are accomplished much easier when the kids aren't around.

As I sit here typing this I still can't decide what I'm going to do with the rest of my time tonight.....

Also, as I was taking down the tent (because it was set up in the basement), gathering blankets and pillows, shopping for their dinner and other necessities, and preparing some of their dinner ahead of time, I thought how ironic this Fathers and Sons thing is. Here the MOTHER is preparing and gathering and making sure they have everything they need so that the BOYS could dash out the door as soon as DAD got home so that they could go do some bonding.

But then again, I guess I want to ensure they get gone for my own selfish desires.

Well, this night has turned out to be even more ironic. The weather has not cooperated at all. Wet, cold, rainy weather is not going to be an enjoyable time for a five and three year old. So Bryan decided that they weren't going to sleep over, and unfortunately that brand new tent just isn't going to be used quite yet for some actual camping. Maybe basement camping is all that tent's going to see. He also decided that it would be best to feed to boys at home where it was warm and not so miserable.

Which I have to agree with. He's absolutely right. I would do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

However, now that I have spent my entire day preparing for them to go off and enjoy themselves so that I could enjoy myself, I am now left with dishes and a messy kitchen to clean from their Father and Sons dinner.

And I can expect them back at 10:00-ish (or maybe sooner).

So much for a restful night to myself, sleeping in, and a lazy morning.

So much for my reprieve.

5 comments:

Hafen Crew said...

So So Sorry! So I guess no Hobby Lobby for you! We'll take our "Break" night when I get there...I NEED some time too.
Gotta love them, they're all such cute little monsters, but wow..they're exhausting sometimes.

Ty and Masha said...

Story of my life......he-he

Kristin said...

Same thing happened to us...Austin got carried away in the tent. Literally was airborne. The boys came home at 2:00 am. So not only were they home they were home kranky!

TURNER TALES said...

Oh, the best laid plans.... You'll have to send them out again, by themselves so they can get that male bonding time - then you can have your female bonding time with Lily!! Gotta use that tent for something more than BASEMENT camping!! (Can you imagine camping in your basement when growing up?) Yuck!! xoxo

Margetts Fam said...

Amen sister! The same thing happened to me....so much for my chick-flick movie. I guess there is always next year. ha ha!