Monday, April 19, 2010

Why Do I Torture Myself?

Today I had to go out shopping. And I had to take all 3 kids. It was unavoidable because tomorrow is Bryan's birthday and I needed to finish up some birthday shopping. And I was dreading this shopping trip it to say the least.


I have been very spoiled for the last three months, because whenever I really needed to go out shopping I would just go and leave all of the kids home with Bryan. See, unemployment has some benefits to it - NO SHOPPING WITH KIDS

Anyway, we get going and store #1 was fine. No problems and they were pretty well behaved. Just 100 questions or so from Jace.

Store #2 was Old Navy. Things were fine, the boys received suckers from a worker and they were just sitting on the base of a clothing rack, sucking away and being quiet. And then I hear Cole say, "Mom, my thumb's stuck." Old Navy has display racks made from galvanized metal with holes in them that look like the pole of a STOP sign. Get it? Well, Cole decided to stick his thumb in there because of course it's a perfect fit.

I immediately told him not to pull on it because I actually know someone who had a son that did the exact same thing at an Old Navy, and it cut his thumb all up and he had to get stitches. So I grabbed my lotion out of my purse and started rubbing it around his little thumb and pulling gently. It wasn't coming and he started screaming. I tried to remain calm but I was getting slightly panicked because I couldn't get it out. I flagged down a worker for some help and was asking her for any other ideas when luckily his thumb came out. Thank goodness it wasn't cut. Cole was upset and his thumb was red and irritated, but he was fine.Seriously, though?

Okay Old Navy, it's time for some new clothing racks WITHOUT toddler sized finger holes.

Then it was on to store #3 (I know, I'm pushing it at this point). My anxiety and stress level has raised considerably from store two to store three. In store #3 the boys are wandering off, chasing each other around the clothing racks, punching, and wrestling in the store. How many times do I have to ask them to stay by me and to keep their hands to themselves? Ugh.

We then traveled home took some naps and then went back out to one more store because I still didn't find what I needed for Bryan's birthday. At this store of course Jace has to use the bathroom so I sent him into the bathroom and told him to do his thing. Well, about 8 minutes later he's still not done and the toilet is flushing over and over and over. The door is locked and who knows what's going on in there? I end up having to go in there to help him finish up and I stress about that because that then leaves the other two out in the hallway by themselves and we already know what Cole's done today when I wasn't looking.

Blah, blah, blah, right? Shopping with all of the kids is not my idea of fun and it does not show off my best mothering skills. I use to be great at- calm, collected, having fun with the kids -when the boys were younger, but throw in another kiddo and two older boys and things change, and not for the better.

And to cap off the day, at dinner Jace told Bryan, "We got you some awesome shirts, but I'm not going to tell you what they are." Then when we were kneeling down for family prayers Jace prayed, "Grateful that we could buy Dad clothes for his birthday."

Awesome. Thanks, Bud.

12 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Ashlee, I soooo feel your pain. Would it be bad of me to say it only gets worse?

Luke and Kellie said...

Oh wow! That is funny to read about but probably not to live through. You were brave to come home in between once I get home I stay there ( :

Margetts Fam said...

I love this!!! See why I am afraid of number 3??? I love that Lily was an angel this whole time but 2 older boys just 2 years apart is so hard to be in public with. I used to love walking around the mall (you know me!) but for the last year I rarely go to the mall...don't worry, I still spend money I just do a lot more shoppping online now! My favorite part of the story "Just 100 questions or so from Jace"...trust me I know how you feel!!!! Can we get together again soon?

Margetts Fam said...

I love this!!! See why I am afraid of number 3??? I love that Lily was an angel this whole time but 2 older boys just 2 years apart is so hard to be in public with. I used to love walking around the mall (you know me!) but for the last year I rarely go to the mall...don't worry, I still spend money I just do a lot more shoppping online now! My favorite part of the story "Just 100 questions or so from Jace"...trust me I know how you feel!!!! Can we get together again soon?

Tiercy said...

As hard as it is to send them off to school each day, school really helps with these "adventures". Sounds like you might have the makings of a Mary Poppins bag...I always mean to put lotion in my purse but it never makes it there. School...only 4 months away. =)

Ty and Masha said...

Ashlee, you posts are always hilarious!!! I loved how at the end Jace just spilled the beans about Bryan's birthday presents. He's awesome. Shopping with kids is a nightmare!!!!

Mikki said...

I know it isn't funny... but it totally is too. I was laughing while sympathizing with you!

PS I hope you are coming to soccer!! Thursday at 9pm. come!

Allison said...

I can totally relate...Justin wonders why I tell him some days its exhausting to even think about leaving the house (and I only have 2)!

The Incredible Bulks said...

Just as I was thinking it would be fun to add a sibling for Marley....

Hafen Crew said...

This is so mean, but I don't feel sorry for you! hahaha! fun times shopping :) okay I just don't feel sorry cause you NEVER have to take them :)

The Ceder House's said...

I can't even imagine three. With just one I have one hand on the cart and one hand dealing out snacks every two seconds and that lasts about five minutes. Then I get the "I want Bye-Bye"- which gets louder until he is shouting it. Awesome. Shopping with kids stinks!

The Ceder House's said...

I can't even imagine three. With just one I have one hand on the cart and one hand dealing out snacks every two seconds and that lasts about five minutes. Then I get the "I want Bye-Bye"- which gets louder until he is shouting it. Awesome. Shopping with kids stinks!